Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Dimensional Crochet Eye Tutorial

This unicorn is a MyKrissieDolls pattern and can be found on Ravelry under her horse pattern. The free unicorn instructions are located there also. For my unicorn, I used worsted weight yarn #4 instead of the smaller yarn used in the pattern as I already had many bright colors to use. I used a G 4.00mm hook as the pattern called for a 1.5 US 2.5mm hook so that gives you an idea of why my unicorn came out larger then the one in the pattern. My unicorn measures 17-1/2” sitting. I chose to not add the star or horseshoes as I thought they weren't unicorn-ish enough for me to add. This pattern is not difficult, but was time consuming. If I make any more, the next time I'll add more stuffing to the body and especially the neck as I feel I needed more stability in that area and I would use two strands on the very upper part of the body where the head and neck meet. But that's me.

I made the mane and tail out of crocheted curly cues in chains of 20, 30 and 40 to get some short ones for in between the ears and the others on the mane and tail. I single crochet (SC) four stitches into each chain. You can find instructions at 1dogwoof.com. The instruction for how to add the curly cues can also be found there. Here is the link.
 

Unicorn Eye Directions:
You will need a G 4.00mm hook and worsted weight yarn in black, white and blue. The yarn brands I used were Red Heart Super Saver for first two colors and Caron Simply Soft in Berry Blue for eye color. You will also need a yarn needle to attach the eye parts to your unicorn.

 

White part of eye (make 2)
Magic ring and SC 8; slip stitch into first SC (8sc)
Rnd 2: 2 SC in each SC around; sl st to 1st crochet (16sc)
Rnd 3: SC in first st, HDC in next, 2 DC, HDC, SC around the rest of the SC stitches.
Fasten off leaving a long enough tail to attach to unicorn. The shape should be oval when finished.

Black Eye Outline
Skip 4 SC from where you ended with the white yarn on the eye and SC 10, HDC, 2DC, HDC, SC. Pull the yarn into the next stitch to finish the stitch out. Be careful not to crochet tightly so the eye doesn't curl.
**When you make your second eye, you will have to reverse the directions for the black eye outline. Otherwise, you will have two eyes that look the same and that will not work or look right on the unicorns face. See photos.



Black Pupil
Make a magic ring with black yarn.
Rnd 1: SC 5 in the ring
Rnd2: 2 SC in each of the previous SC stitches. (10)
Lay on top of eye white part and attach. See photo for placement.

Blue part of eye
Ch 13 or enough to go around the black pupil leaving 4 SC between the beginning and end of your blue chain when wrapped around the pupil. Tack down to top of white of eye. I stitched the blue yarn into each chain to tack down. You could probably just SC (single crochet) the blue right off the round black of the eye, but this being my first crochet directions EVER is how I made mine as I couldn't find any free eye instructions at the time when I needed to complete this pattern. I liked the dimension of the two crocheted layers anyway...up to you though.

White Yarn Highlights
Between chains 4 and 5 of the blue yarn, take your needle and make a line stitch over one of the black SC. Count up to chain 10 of the blue and place two lines (one shorter than the other) stitch over the black SC above it. See photo for placement.


  

 

Lashes
With black yarn, count backwards from bottom black stitch and place yarn lines at stitches 4, 5, and 6. See photo for placement or be creative and do your own thing. :) 


   
    


Please message me if you have any questions. I've never written crochet patterns out before so please excuse me as I am sure there is a better way, but this is what i came up with as I couldn't find, at the time, an eye tutorial I liked for this project.
Lee Anne


**You may Pin and link to these directions, but please do not copy and claim them as your own. Thank you. :)
Enjoy...and Happy Hooking! 


You may also like to add this project to your Raverly account. 

Tabitha in her tutu (info in next post) I made for her birthday and her new unicorn. Big, isn't it? She loved it!

 

No comments: